Welcome to my blog

もっともっと盛り上がればいい

2008年3月22日 星期六

MLB 王建民新聞


Wang will start Opening Day for Yanks
Right-hander coming off back-to-back 19-win seasons

One year ago, Chien-Ming Wang got his hopes up to pitch on Opening Day before suffering both an injury and ultimate disappointment, forced to watch from a Tampa apartment as his team went north without him.
Barring a catastrophe in Wang's final start of Spring Training, he will finally get to find out what a season opener feels like. Yankees manager Joe Girardi confirmed Friday that Wang has been tabbed as the Opening Day starter, set to face the Blue Jays on March 31 in New York.
"He's earned it," Girardi said. "He's won 19 games the last couple of years and he's thrown the ball well the last couple of years. I'm comfortable starting him Opening Day."
The start will come on Wang's 28th birthday, one year after a strained right hamstring cost him most of April before he rebounded to tie a career high in wins for the second consecutive season, going 19-7 with a 3.70 ERA in 30 starts and establishing a career high with 104 strikeouts.
"I'm very happy," Wang said. "This is my first time on Opening Day. For me, it's big. I'm very excited.
"It shows that the coaches trust me. I still have a lot to learn."....
Wang hasn't had a whole lot of success this spring -- in four Grapefruit League starts, Wang is 2-1 with an 8.44 ERA in 10 2/3 innings.
But his track record speaks volumes: He has won more games than any other big league pitcher (38) over the last two years and leads the Majors with a .745 winning percentage in that time span, though he suffered two losses in the Yankees' first-round playoff exit against the Indians last October.
Wang has said that it took him a month to get over the playoff losses, in which he was roughed up for 12 runs and 14 hits in 5 2/3 innings. Pitching on three days' rest in the deciding Game 4 of the American League Division Series at Yankee Stadium, Wang did not retire an Indians batter in the second inning.
"The two losses make me want to do even better this year," Wang said. "I want to make the coaches trust me even more in the future."
Girardi said that Wang's balanced and relaxed personality lends itself well to an assignment like Opening Day, and that he was glad Wang needed one month to get over his October disappointment.
"That tells me that he really cares and he wants to get better," Girardi said. "That actually excites me. I think he will continue to improve."
(http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080321&content_id=2449201&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

台灣之光加油!!!
這季洋基的戰績就看你了

沒有留言: